Web Host Chat - The UK's host forum since 2001!
RECOMMENDED HOSTS
Colocation Rack Services
UK Web & Reseller Hosting
UK Leased Lines
VMWare Cloud Servers
Advertise here!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By othelloRob

Thread: WHMCS DNS Clustering

  1. #1
    Registered User Array

    WHMCS DNS Clustering

    Hi all
    I have a question related to WHMCS, how/where does WHMCS support DNS clustering, to be more specific here is our scenario:
    We have a primary server running WHMCS (server-1 - ns1 & ns2.ourdoamin.com) This is the primary DNS server which replicates it records to two other DNSonly nameservers using DNS clustering (cPanel).
    This is the tricky part that we are trying to get to understand / work out is .....
    We have multiple servers for our cPanel accounts (client-server-1, 2, 3 ,etc) we obviously do not want to set up each server with a nameserver as we want to use a set of "common" nameservers. So how do we get WHMCS to create the cPanel account on the designated server but create the zone records (DNS) on our primary server so this records can be clustered to our backup nameservers?
    I hope my question makes sense as we can not find anything with regard to this settings in WHMCS, or if the pro's here on the forum could suggest a way we can achieve the above if it cant be done with WHMCS.

    Thanking you all in advance,


    Kind Regards,

  2. #2
    132 rating
    23 reviews
    Posts 13826
    Post rank 1 (0)
    Array
    Are you mixing up WHM and WHMCS?
    Freethought Internet
    Freethought Internet Limited registered in London No. 5862996. Registered office: The Old Church Hall, 2A Cromwell Street, Lincoln, LN2 5LP. VAT number GB 987 0952 66.

  3. #3
    Registered User Array
    Hi Ed,

    No i dont believe i am, maybe just my question that is not coming across correctly,

    WHM > is running on the server (standard server management interface)
    cPanel > also running on the server (hosting account / control panel management software)
    WHMCS > our web hosting / billing platform running on the server

    So obviously from within WHMCS if you sign up a new hosting customer and WHMCS is configured access to your WHM/cPanel server, WHMCS can run the "create" module to setup the hosting package on the designated server. However "standardly" it will create the DNS / Zone records on that same server for the cpanel account it is setting up/creating. What i am looking to do is create the DNS / Zone records on our main DNS server, but set the cpanel account up on the the servers we have reserved for holding the clients cPanel accounts.

    Or maybe my question should be, if i have ....

    "Main Server" > DNS server (WHM / cPanel)

    "Client Server" > hosting accounts server (WHM / cPanel)

    How can i configure "Client Server" so that whenever a hosting account (cpanel) is added WHM creates the DNS / Zone records on "Main Server" but creates the cPanel hosting account itself on the "Client Server" ?

    If my explanation makes more sense now?

    Many thanks.

  4. #4
    623 rating
    1 review
    Posts 11067
    Post rank 2 (1)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Jackson View Post
    We have multiple servers for our cPanel accounts (client-server-1, 2, 3 ,etc) we obviously do not want to set up each server with a nameserver as we want to use a set of "common" nameservers.
    A separate DNS service/servers and BINDs auto-notify to AXFR local changes (which will be created by cpanel & whm) to your authoritive NS

  5. #5
    132 rating
    23 reviews
    Posts 13826
    Post rank 1 (0)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Jackson View Post
    Hi Ed,

    No i dont believe i am, maybe just my question that is not coming across correctly,

    WHM > is running on the server (standard server management interface)
    cPanel > also running on the server (hosting account / control panel management software)
    WHMCS > our web hosting / billing platform running on the server

    So obviously from within WHMCS if you sign up a new hosting customer and WHMCS is configured access to your WHM/cPanel server, WHMCS can run the "create" module to setup the hosting package on the designated server. However "standardly" it will create the DNS / Zone records on that same server for the cpanel account it is setting up/creating. What i am looking to do is create the DNS / Zone records on our main DNS server, but set the cpanel account up on the the servers we have reserved for holding the clients cPanel accounts.

    Or maybe my question should be, if i have ....

    "Main Server" > DNS server (WHM / cPanel)

    "Client Server" > hosting accounts server (WHM / cPanel)

    How can i configure "Client Server" so that whenever a hosting account (cpanel) is added WHM creates the DNS / Zone records on "Main Server" but creates the cPanel hosting account itself on the "Client Server" ?

    If my explanation makes more sense now?

    Many thanks.
    Sounds like you you just need cPanel's DNS clustering features to me; https://documentation.cpanel.net/dis...LD/DNS+Cluster
    Freethought Internet
    Freethought Internet Limited registered in London No. 5862996. Registered office: The Old Church Hall, 2A Cromwell Street, Lincoln, LN2 5LP. VAT number GB 987 0952 66.

  6. #6
    34 rating
    1 review
    Posts 9086
    Post rank 49 (-32)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by othelloRob View Post
    A separate DNS service/servers and BINDs auto-notify to AXFR local changes (which will be created by cpanel & whm) to your authoritive NS
    We do something similar, although we also make use of cPanel DNS clustering as well. Each of of hosting servers pushes to two cPanel DNS only (PowerDNS), we then have extra PowerDNS servers that rely on NOTIFY, treating the two cPanel servers as supermasters.
    Karl Austin :: Owner :: KDA Web Services Ltd. :: UK Web Hosting and Servers
    0800 542 9764 :: Company: 04114724 :: VAT: GB 842 9597 81
    "Individual Solutions for Individual Customers" :: Facebook :: Twitter

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Einstein

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1