Web Host Chat - The UK's host forum since 2001!
RECOMMENDED HOSTS
Colocation Rack Services
UK Web & Reseller Hosting
UK Leased Lines
VMWare Cloud Servers
Advertise here!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 130
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Telecity

  1. #16
    132 rating
    23 reviews
    Posts 13826
    Post rank 1 (0)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by uk26 View Post
    Maybe if going via a reseller (the more you buy the cheaper it gets) but if going direct they want gold

    I spoke to a few data centres and all seems to charge more. for example Telehouse wanted 1200 a month with no connection included.
    There is a very good reason that most people don't take transit from the data centre operator in a proper carrier neutral facility.

    The data centre operators normally only provide network services for selling to big corporate types who want a single supplier solution with everything on one bill. There are always other operators in the facility who can provide a better service for less money.

    That said, you don't buy a rack from Telecity/Equinix/Telehouse/Global Switch if you want it cheap.
    Freethought Internet
    Freethought Internet Limited registered in London No. 5862996. Registered office: The Old Church Hall, 2A Cromwell Street, Lincoln, LN2 5LP. VAT number GB 987 0952 66.

  2. #17
    Registered User Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
    There is a very good reason that most people don't take transit from the data centre operator in a proper carrier neutral facility.

    The data centre operators normally only provide network services for selling to big corporate types who want a single supplier solution with everything on one bill. There are always other operators in the facility who can provide a better service for less money.

    That said, you don't buy a rack from Telecity/Equinix/Telehouse/Global Switch if you want it cheap.
    I don't buy so much on price. I don't have a problem with the price from Telecity and are due to sign contracts on Friday. my original question at the start of this topic was not on price but reviews on their network of which no one has been able to answer so assume no one uses it.

    We might as well take their feed as its included in the price and then look for another provider to get us multi-homed. Before i can get the ASN Number approved from ripe, i need the second provider
    Last edited by uk26; 20th January 2016 at 10:08 PM.

  3. #18
    Posts 5302
    Post rank 83 (-50)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by uk26 View Post
    I don't buy so much on price. I don't have a problem with the price from Telecity and are due to sign contracts on Friday. my original question at the start of this topic was not on price but reviews on their network of which no one has been able to answer so assume no one uses it.

    We might as well take their feed as its included in the price and then look for another provider to get us multi-homed. Before i can get the ASN Number approved from ripe, i need the second provider
    I was one of the first customers in Meridian Gate many years ago and whilst it's been a very solid facility in terms of reliability, it's old, dated and power is very limited... so I wouldn't recommend it. Try Virtus instead, they have some great facilities and will help you to get decent connectivity sorted out. Their Enfield DC is great, the newly acquired facility in Slough is amazing.

    Telecity can be a horrid, horrid, horrid company to deal with... I won't go into details publicly but I wouldn't ever ever trust them or use them again; that's not to say they do have some great and helpful staff in the NOCs.

    Whilst I've not used it, I've heard lots of people moan about their transit over the years (mostly their other customers when I've struck up a conversation in the DC). There are likely far better options.

    In a nutshell, avoid Telecity.
    Mark Castle

  4. #19
    Registered User Array
    Quote Originally Posted by markcastle View Post
    I was one of the first customers in Meridian Gate many years ago and whilst it's been a very solid facility in terms of reliability, it's old, dated and power is very limited... so I wouldn't recommend it. Try Virtus instead, they have some great facilities and will help you to get decent connectivity sorted out. Their Enfield DC is great, the newly acquired facility in Slough is amazing.

    Telecity can be a horrid, horrid, horrid company to deal with... I won't go into details publicly but I wouldn't ever ever trust them or use them again; that's not to say they do have some great and helpful staff in the NOCs.

    Whilst I've not used it, I've heard lots of people moan about their transit over the years (mostly their other customers when I've struck up a conversation in the DC). There are likely far better options.

    In a nutshell, avoid Telecity.
    OK, the Data Centre you mentioned is to far out for me. I have had a look at Volta Data Centres and thats not too hard to reach. Any reviews?
    Last edited by uk26; 20th January 2016 at 11:15 PM.

  5. #20
    601 rating
    4 reviews
    Posts 2471
    Post rank 5 (2)
    Array
    Thumbs up for Volta from what I've heard. I know a few folks in there if you want a proper review...

  6. #21
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-Freethought View Post

    That said, you don't buy a rack from Telecity/Equinix/Telehouse/Global Switch if you want it cheap.
    I would beg to differ. Have you seen our MER pricing?

  7. #22
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by uk26 View Post
    OK, the Data Centre you mentioned is to far out for me. I have had a look at Volta Data Centres and thats not too hard to reach. Any reviews?
    This is another of the sites we have a presence in and the place is lovely. Had no issues with them.

    I dont think they provide transit but again there are a lot of carrier options there including ourselves!

  8. #23
    53 rating
    3 reviews
    Posts 3218
    Post rank 35 (-16)
    Array
    We have a cage in Mer, reliability of Mer has been good to be fair, although I wouldn't buy any transit from TeleCity, other providers will be a fraction of the price.

    My guess is your rackspace will be expensive also direct with TeleCity.

    However there is uncertainty around the future owner of Mer as mentioned. I don't believe anything has yet been announced about who is lined up to buy it.

  9. #24
    132 rating
    23 reviews
    Posts 13826
    Post rank 1 (0)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by James[UH] View Post
    We have a cage in Mer, reliability of Mer has been good to be fair, although I wouldn't buy any transit from TeleCity, other providers will be a fraction of the price.

    My guess is your rackspace will be expensive also direct with TeleCity.

    However there is uncertainty around the future owner of Mer as mentioned. I don't believe anything has yet been announced about who is lined up to buy it.
    I think the only thing that has been announced so far is that all of the London data centres will be sold off together, not individually. I've not heard anything credible about who they might be sold to.

    The sale has to be completed in the first half of this year in order to meet the regulator requirements IIRC.
    Freethought Internet
    Freethought Internet Limited registered in London No. 5862996. Registered office: The Old Church Hall, 2A Cromwell Street, Lincoln, LN2 5LP. VAT number GB 987 0952 66.

  10. #25
    Registered User Array
    Based on the above, we have had a better quote from Volta and a much quicker setup time (4 days)
    Last edited by uk26; 21st January 2016 at 12:39 PM.

  11. #26
    Registered User Array
    Contract now signed with Volta Data Centre

    AS Number applied for at Ripe of which we are taking feeds from AI Networks and Joe-HT
    Ricky and EXN-Stef like this.

  12. #27
    601 rating
    4 reviews
    Posts 2471
    Post rank 5 (2)
    Array
    Good choices
    Ricky likes this.

  13. #28
    Registered User Array
    Software router initially (to be replaced with branded router later) installed a Dell Poweregde with Dual Quad 3Ghz CPUs (8 cores total) and 16 GB Ram

    Just playing with OpenBGP i have setup the below - does this look right in order to announce the IP 172.16.100.0/23 (to be replaced by our real IP Range)

    Each Network Nic Port to have /30 IP one for each provider feed (IPs to be provided by each provider)

    Hopefully my understanding on this is correct.

    AS (OUR AS NUMBER)
    fib-update yes
    holdtime 90
    listen on 0.0.0.0
    network 172.16.100.0/23 (Replace with Real IP Subnet)
    neighbor 192.168.10.1 { (Replace with Real IP)
    descr "Provider 1"
    remote-as 12345 (Replace with Real ASN Number)
    local-address 0.0.0.0
    }
    neighbor 10.1.1.1 { (Replace with Real IP)
    descr "Provider2"
    remote-as 67891 (Replace with Real ASN Number)
    local-address 0.0.0.0
    }
    deny from any
    deny to any
    allow from 192.168.10.1 (Replace with Real IP of provider 1)
    allow to 192.168.10.1 (Replace with Real IP of provider 1)
    allow from 10.1.1.1 (Replace with Real IP of provider 2)
    allow to 10.1.1.1 (Replace with Real IP of provider 2)
    Last edited by uk26; 22nd January 2016 at 12:16 AM.

  14. #29
    Registered User Array
    Quote Originally Posted by uk26 View Post
    Software router initially (to be replaced with branded router later) installed a Dell Poweregde with Dual Quad 3Ghz CPUs (8 cores total) and 16 GB Ram
    Cool, decent Intel NICs are good additions. 10Gbps NICs means more options (you'll not be able to forward full line rate even with large packets though...).
    Quote Originally Posted by uk26 View Post
    Just playing with OpenBGP i have setup the below - does this look right in order to announce the IP 172.16.100.0/23 (to be replaced by our real IP Range)
    OpenBGP*D*? - Another OpenBSD user, good choice. Make sure you're running latest as always. It'll not be in 5.8 (AFAIK) but there's been some important work to vastly improve filter performance, using code similar to the PF method to make loading/evaluating filters more sane. It's not really important now as you'll only be filtering bogons and so forth, but if you come to peer in the future it's more important. OpenBGPd and route filters
    Quote Originally Posted by uk26 View Post
    Each Network Nic Port to have /30 IP one for each provider feed (IPs to be provided by each provider)
    *Shrugs*, I'd be 'cheeky' and ask for a /29. In your case it means you can run CARP properly (it can be done with just the float address but it is nicer to use three IMO). It also means that if you're switching to a new routing platform you can do so cleanly on the same underlying P2P subnet. Finally you can do full mesh BGP, your provider may offer you two routers to bring up a session with.

    If you only have one port from each ISP I wouldn't be plugging both ISPs *directly* into one server for anything other than testing. In that case really I'd use (at least) two switches, (at least) two routers. Each router has a link to each switch, ISP links are split or replicated between two switches. Or perhaps two routers - one ISP per router (this would increase forwarding done in software rather than in hardware switches though and limit the number of physical transit ports).
    Quote Originally Posted by uk26 View Post
    Hopefully my understanding on this is correct.

    AS (OUR AS NUMBER)
    fib-update yes
    holdtime 90
    listen on 0.0.0.0
    network 172.16.100.0/23 (Replace with Real IP Subnet)
    neighbor 192.168.10.1 { (Replace with Real IP IP)
    descr "Provider 1"
    remote-as 12345 (Replace with Real ASN Number)
    local-address 0.0.0.0
    }
    neighbor 10.1.1.1 { (Replace with Real IP IP)
    descr "Provider2"
    remote-as 67891 (Replace with Real ASN Number)
    local-address 0.0.0.0
    }
    deny from any
    deny to any
    allow from 192.168.10.1 (Replace with Real IP IP of provider 1)
    allow to 192.168.10.1 (Replace with Real IP IP of provider 1)
    allow from 10.1.1.1 (Replace with Real IP IP of provider 2)
    allow to 10.1.1.1 (Replace with Real IP IP of provider 2)
    Genuinely, that is not a full correct config.
    Last edited by connected; 22nd January 2016 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Grammar.
    Ricky likes this.

  15. #30
    Platinum Member
    Host Consult (Not Certified)
    Posts 6218
    Post rank 61 (-5)
    Array
    Great post connected, I miss this forum now, it was aces
    Pete-CCS likes this.
    Ricky Blaikie - Senior Hosting Consultant -Host Consult Ltd
    TEL: +44 (0) 20 3002 7992 WEB: http://www.host-consult.net
    * Colocation * Dedicated and Cloud Hosting * Connectivity * VDC * VOIP *

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1