Web Host Chat - The UK's host forum since 2001!
RECOMMENDED HOSTS
Colocation Rack Services
UK Web & Reseller Hosting
UK Leased Lines
VMWare Cloud Servers
Advertise here!
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Posts 3075
    Post rank 65 (16)
    Array

    .gov.uk registration?

    Does anyone here have any experience with .gov.uk registration? I've been asked by the Parish Council to investigate them getting a .gov.uk and it looks like they qualify - the docs mention an 80 cost, but I understand it's not quite as straightforward for initial registration.

    Cheers!
    Alex Threlfall
    Cyberprog New Media
    www.cyberprog.net
    Most people work around their psychological demons, I harness mine up and take them out for a ride.

  2. #2
    132 rating
    23 reviews
    Posts 13826
    Post rank 1 (0)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberprog View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience with .gov.uk registration? I've been asked by the Parish Council to investigate them getting a .gov.uk and it looks like they qualify - the docs mention an 80 cost, but I understand it's not quite as straightforward for initial registration.

    Cheers!
    Yeah, we do them (https://www.freethought-internet.co.uk/domains/gov-uk/) for 120/2 years including VAT and there are all kind of fun rules around them from a naming point of view. It's all handled manually on the registry side as well.

    Parish councils can get them just fine, but there's a particular way of working out the specific domain name that they're allowed. I think you also have to have a website as well, you can't just use it for email.
    Freethought Internet
    Freethought Internet Limited registered in London No. 5862996. Registered office: The Old Church Hall, 2A Cromwell Street, Lincoln, LN2 5LP. VAT number GB 987 0952 66.

  3. #3
    Posts 3075
    Post rank 65 (16)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
    Yeah, we do them (https://www.freethought-internet.co.uk/domains/gov-uk/) for 120/2 years including VAT and there are all kind of fun rules around them from a naming point of view. It's all handled manually on the registry side as well.

    Parish councils can get them just fine, but there's a particular way of working out the specific domain name that they're allowed. I think you also have to have a website as well, you can't just use it for email.
    Yep, not a problem, we'll move the website onto wordpress hosted also I think. Thanks for the pricing.
    Alex Threlfall
    Cyberprog New Media
    www.cyberprog.net
    Most people work around their psychological demons, I harness mine up and take them out for a ride.

  4. #4
    132 rating
    23 reviews
    Posts 13826
    Post rank 1 (0)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberprog View Post
    Yep, not a problem, we'll move the website onto wordpress hosted also I think. Thanks for the pricing.
    No problem

    Pop an email to [email protected] if you have any questions and we can get you details of specifics about naming rules etc.
    Freethought Internet
    Freethought Internet Limited registered in London No. 5862996. Registered office: The Old Church Hall, 2A Cromwell Street, Lincoln, LN2 5LP. VAT number GB 987 0952 66.

  5. #5
    623 rating
    1 review
    Posts 11067
    Post rank 2 (1)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberprog View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience with .gov.uk registration?
    Yes, Astutium are one of the ja.net/jisc registrars for .gov.uk etc

    Current pricing is 99.95+vat per 2 years

    The paperwork and prep-work will be largely the same for all direct gov.uk registrars - and as Ed noted, their definition of "using" it includes having a website

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1